Adult Book Club
The Adult Book Club is for anyone 18 and older who loves to read and wants to discuss great books with other members of the community. We typically meet the third Monday of the month from 6:30-8 PM or the third Thursday of the month from 10:30-Noon. Both meetings discuss the same book, so feel free to join either meeting at any time throughout the year!
You can see what the group has read previously here.
Mission Statement and Guidelines for Behavior
It is the mission of the Marlborough Public Library Adult Book Club to provide an open and friendly environment within which all members of the community are welcome to discuss books they have read; also to expand members’ personal literary experiences by introducing them to books that they might otherwise not have selected. Monthly books, either fiction or nonfiction, are chosen by the book club members on a yearly basis in the fall and are provided in various formats (e.g. large print and audio) to ensure that all members of the community who wish to participate are able to do so.
In order to promote an open and friendly environment, we ask that members please:
- Speak up when you have something you want to contribute to the conversation. Do not feel pressured to speak if you are content to listen to others.
- Listen thoughtfully to others when they are speaking so that you can respond or carry on the conversation from where the last person left off.
- Respect others’ opinions, especially when they differ from your own.
- Be brief when talking to help insure that everyone has the opportunity to speak.
- Do not talk over one another or have side conversations that disrupt the main discussion.
- Keep personal political and religious viewpoints out of the discussion unless they relate to the book being discussed.
- Do not feel pressure to finish the book. Your interest in the topic alone is enough to contribute to the conversation and you can still learn and have fun listening to others discuss the book.
Please contact Morgan Manzella with any and all questions about the book club at 508-624-6900 or email@example.com.
January 22 and 25: Five Days at Memorial by Sheri Fink
February 26 and March 1: Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
March 19 and 22: The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett
April 23 and 26: Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
May 21 and 24: You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott
June 18 and 21: Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey
July 16 and 19: Neverhome by Hunt Laird
August 20 and 23: Author Study – Elizabeth Strout
– My Name is Lucy Barton
– Abide with Me
– Anything is Possible
September 17 and 20: The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu: And Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua Hammer
October 15 and 18: I Liked My Life by Abby Fabiaschi
November 26 and 29: Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance
December 17 and 20: No book – Social Hour! Happy Holidays!
Here at the Marlborough Public Library, we have book clubs that appeal to readers of all ages and interests. However, you may want to have your own book club for your organization or personal interest, and we want to support you in all of your reading efforts. If you have a personal or institutional book group fill out this bulk book request form and drop it off at the circulation desk. We will do our best make sure to get you all the copies you need, in the formats you need, on time.