June 25 – August 19, 2016
Why should children have all of the fun? Why not get rewarded for all of the reading you’re already doing?
The Adult Summer Reading Program at the Marlborough Public Library encourages all adults 18 and older to track how much they read in order to be entered for prize drawings every two weeks, in addition to having the chance to win the grand prize!
There are two ways you can register and participate in the Adult Summer Reading Program:
Online: You can register yourself through our program website to be able to track your own reading. All you need is a C/W Mars library card in good standing and a working e-mail address.
At the Library: You can also register and participate on paper by visiting the circulation desk to pick up a registration form and a set of reading log bookmarks that you will turn in at the end of each reading period. You will still need to provide a C/W Mars library card number in good standing and a phone number so we can contact you if you win a prize.
*Please note: Registration does not start until Monday June 20 and logging does not start until Saturday June 25. The last day to register will be August 13.
If you have any questions about registering please contact Karen Mattes at email@example.com.
The program is divided into two week reading periods, as follows:
Saturday June 25—Friday July 8
Saturday July 9—Friday July 22
Saturday July 23—Friday August 5
Saturday August 6—Friday August 19
You must log a minimum of 300 minutes (roughly 21 minutes a day) to be entered in the prize drawing for each reading period. Please make sure that you record your reading in a timely fashion for each reading period, whether it is online or by paper. The entries online must be time-stamped within each reading period to be considered for that reading period’s prize drawing, and the paper reading logs must be returned to the library by the time and date noted on the front of each one.
Every adult who registers with a library card in good standing will automatically be entered in the grand prize drawing.
Bi-weekly prize drawings: $25 Gift Card of your choice! Choose from a long list of popular restaurants, shops, and services.
Grand Prize: Your choice of either a BOSE bluetooth speaker, Fitbit Charge HR, or a gift card to a local restaurant!
The library will also be hosting a number of fun events for adults throughout the summer. Visit our calendar to see all of the events and to register for those events that require registration.
Summer Reading Opening Party! Join us for our big opening party on Saturday June 25 from 10 am – 4 pm!
Into to Ballroom! As the Adult Book Club reads The Unexpected Waltz by Kim Wright for July, experience the joy of ballroom first hand with our introduction to ballroom class on Saturday July 9 from 2-2:45 at the Marlborough Senior Center. Space is limited to 20 people and registration will begin Monday June 27 through our events calendar.
Adult Summer Reading Reception! Come celebrate the end of the Summer Reading Program on Monday August 22, from 6:30-7:30 pm in the Bigelow Auditorium. Meet your fellow readers, share recommendations for your new favorite books, and be there for the grand prize drawing! There will also be door prizes and refreshments.
In addition to the regular Summer Reading program, this year we are also doing a reading challenge to help you exercise your mind! Starting June 20th, pick up or print out your copy of the reading challenge list and start checking off categories! You can also enter your responses into the reading challenge online through our program website where you track your daily reading.
- Every five book categories that you complete between June 20 and August 19 earns you one entry in the Summer Reading grand prize drawing. If you check all 25 you will have a total of 5 chances in the grand prize drawing.
- Each book that you read or listen to (fiction or non-fiction) can be counted for up to two categories.
- If you are participating online, under the “Challenges” tab you can enter the title and author for each category of your choice, individually. The online program will keep track of when you enter 5 categories and receive your extra entry in the grand prize drawing.
- If you are participating on paper, just write the title and author of the book on the line beneath the category that you want it to count toward. Staff will initial and date five categories at a time when you claim your extra entry in the grand prize drawing. You can claim your extra entries at the main circulation desk any time between Saturday, June 25 and Monday, August 22.
Need help finding books to fit a category? Check out some of the resources on the Find a Good Book subject guide.
- “Books and Authors” is a great resource for finding books based on location or time period, as well as for some of the most comprehensive information about authors and the works they published.
- “NoveList” is one of the best resources for fiction, including the order of books in a series.
- “Based on the Book” is an easy-to-navigate list of books that have been adapted for film.
Also, feel free to stop by the library and talk with any of the reference librarians at the Reference Desk!
“Exercise Your Mind” is sponsored by the Marlborough Public Library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins, and the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.